"Just and Humane supports for all."
The John Howard Society builds safe and healthy communities by assisting vulnerable people achieve greater independence and to become changemakers in their own lives.
The John Howard Society believes:
- In inclusive and accessible communities and programs that focus on quality of life and health living.
- Communities are strengthened through effective and humane criminal, health and social justice programs.
- Operations work from a restorative philosophy that looks to resolve conflicts, repair harm and to restore peaceful relations in society.
- Every person has the right to safe, affordable, and appropriate housing.
- Every person has intrinsic worth and must be treated with dignity, equity, fairness and compassion by the community and the health, justice and social service systems.
- Every person has the potential to become a responsible and accountable citizen.
- Every person has the right and responsibility to be informed about, and involved in, decisions that affect them within the health, justice and social service systems.
- Supporting movements which seek to remove conditions which lead persons to crime.
- The society values the philosophy of community development and capacity building and takes every opportunity to provide leadership in the community in which we own or lease buildings and provide support services.
- Services are accessible, culturally responsive, non judgmental and focussed on the health of each client.
- Operations are transparent and accountable.
- Service and environment consider the safety and well-being of clients and others.
- The society aims to provide services that promote active and meaningful participation of the citizens we support.
- The society supports and staffing have a focus on partnerships and collaboration with community partners and stakeholders.
- Staffing and operations within the organization are held to a high standard of performance and quality service.
- Cooperate with other regional John Howard Societies in activities of provincial scope and implications.
Please refer to our Annual Reports for our audited financial statements. We are funded by Correctional Service of Canada, Interior Health Authority and BC Corrections, Forensic Psychiatric Services Co...Read More